Blog Archive

Friday, November 8, 2013

Thanksgiving: Fool-Proof Recipes for Even the Worst Cooks in America


Fool-Proof Recipes for Even the Worst Cooks in America
by Christine Nguyen

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I’m ready to pull out those stretchy pants and gain all the weight I’ve been trying to keep off. I know Thanksgiving is a time to be well, thankful, but seriously who can deny their excitement for all the food?!

All of my weekends in November are usually jam packed; friends’ dinner, family dinner, significant other’s family’s dinner, just dinner, dinner, and more dinner. I love eating and I love cooking but I can say with confidence that I’m better at eating than I am at cooking, hence my initial hesitation over potlucks. I’m not going to lie; a few years ago, I was THAT person who always volunteered to provide the utensils (plastic, most of the time. Silver plastic if we were getting fancy), and if that wasn’t available, I’d bring the party (booze, in case you were wondering, not myself).   

But over the years, my anxiety for potlucks has steadily decreased. You can thank me later, but here I’ve compiled a list of my favorite and super easy (but very effective, I guarantee you) recipes to get you through all the November festivities. I’m no longer THAT person. I finally got promoted to an actual human being who could effectively contribute to potluck dinners. 

Corn Bread Muffins
I love corn bread, and this recipe is the perfect way to incorporate whole corn kernels.  You can actually adjust the sweetness of the cornbread depending on what type of corn you get. I usually just opt for canned corn since it’s the easiest.
Photo Courtesy of AllRecipes












Ultimate Baked Mac and Cheese
I like this recipe because the amount and different types of cheeses but if you’d like to simplify it even further, you could just use one type of cheese. The most important part of this recipe is the egg wash (gives it that gooey cheese texture) and to spice it up, add some breadcrumbs on top to give it a nice crust before you bake. Throw in some bacon or ham if you’re truly feeling exotic!



Pumpkin Pie Bites
These were a hit last year. Seriously, the only thing better than an actual pumpkin pie is being able to throw the whole thing in your mouth. 
Recipe courtesy of My Baking Addiction










Happy November! Leave some comments or pictures of your favorite recipes. 
We’d love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment