Tips for hosting a stress free dinner party
Make hosting easy by following these simple steps.
- It's all about timing! Jot down a rough timeline of when guest will arrive and when drinks, dinner, and dessert will be served. This will help you to properly plan when to prep for the next course. Keep in mind the flow of the party.
- Stay organized by creating a to do list and a shopping list. Refer to these lists often and cross out items as completed. On the day of the event, you should not have to run any errands.
- Select a menu and consider a specialty cocktail and wine pairings. Keep in mind guests allergy restrictions if applicable. Plan how long it will take to make each dish and do the preparations as early as possible.
- Plan which dishes to use including serverware, flatware, glasses, and china. Use sticky notes to prevent confusion the day of the party.
- Plan your table setting including centerpiece, place setting, seating arrangement, and linens. Place cards are appropriate for a dinner party of 8 or more guests.
- Select or create a playlist to set the vibe of the evening. Consider something upbeat. Keep the volume at a moderate level in order to promote conversation.
- Select your outfit well in advance and allow time for dry cleaning or steaming if needed.
- Prior to guests arrival, plan to give yourself at least 30 minutes to freshen up and change into your hosting attire.
- Greet your guests at the door, offer to take their coats and place down their belongings. Offer them a drink ASAP!
- Enjoy the party stress free!